Thursday, July 31, 2014

Geology field camp on rewind

After leaving the Grand Canyon, we visited Zion, the Mojave Desert, Yosemite, and the western Sierras. Many of the roads and towns we rode thru, I had been to on field camp 3 years ago. I had no idea I would ever be on most of these roads again, especially by bike.
When we were at the Dumont Dunes in March 2011 I saw someone running on the desert road and wondered who would be crazy enough to be out in the heat. Well now that person was smart cause we were on the same road in July in 112 degree heat. It was so hot,, Maddi and I found shelter under my umbrella on the side of the road. I carried an umbrella everyday not or rain but for shade because there s no other option.
One of the committees our route has is the Free Education Committee. Thus committee formed as a way for riders to share knowledge. Since I have been down here before and know a bit about the geology, I am teaching a class on the geology of the area, specifically the big picture formation of the region. Thanks to Afton and Chase for getting me pictures from my field camp note books. It really helped to jog my memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment