Thursday, June 26, 2014

Amarillo to Dalhart, Texas

Today I was Rhys. I chased seven snakes and caught six fish with my bare hands. I beatboxed like a champion and danced until the cows came home. In all seriousness, today was awesome. Our challenge of the day, given to us by our lovely sweeps, Colleen and Morgan, was to imitate another rider on the team. I was paired with Rhys. A guy that is easy to imitate due to his many talents and hobbies. Everyone had a lot of fun with the challenge, but Angela took the cake with her freestyle rap about a day in the life of Josiah (with me pretending to drop some beats, while I was actually gasping for air trying to say boots and cats for 2 minutes).
>
> We started out in Amarillo around 7 o'clock, and arrived in Dalhart, TX by four, the majority of the day felt like exploring more than riding our bikes. The beginning of the ride was hilly and I loved it! We had some of our longest hills so far this trip. Despite the highway traffic, the views were incredible. I felt extremely safe riding the entire day with Megan and Molly M and we had a blast singing and flying along with great tail wind.

A couple memorable stops along the way included first lunch with horses and chocolate ice cream in a waffle cone in a local diner for $1.38.
>
> One of the funniest things to happen today was around mile 60, we saw a large obstruction on the horizon. It was directly in our line of vision and in Florida we saw some bridges that looked like walls, so it was not out of the question that a very large bridge was ahead. It took us at least a mile to determine that the bridge was actually a giant grain elevator and not a draw bridge.
>
> ALSO! There is a joke amongst the group about the size of my overnight bag, about how it is slightly larger and heavier than everyone else's overnight bag. But everyone borrows my stuff all the time. I've lent out my sewing kit, chacos, sunglasses, pedals, spare tire, thermarest, food, etc, so there is a reason for the size, my bag is basically a second community bin. I might be a little over prepared. Same goes for my overly stuffed but full of essential items camel back. No shade Texas, no worries, I have an umbrella. Powerful tail wind and don't want to pedal... Umbrella for the win! Bike and Build, bike sailing west!

And lastly, Abs with Colleen!!! We are the strongest route without a doubt!

No comments:

Post a Comment